Sunday, February 15, 2009

in the news...

If you've read my blog for awhile you know that I am not big on immunizations. Our first two children I really followed the books, but with the last two I haven't. I feel I've educated myself more. I'm not saying those who immunize are uneducated. But I think it is a decision each parent needs to carefully consider for their children and family. That being said, I really don't think it's the government's right to force us to immunize our children. Just one more of our 'freedoms' taken away. I've been thinking a lot about all this lately as SP will have a doctor's appointment coming up in March and I know the issue will arise. I've decided that if they really question or hound me about it I will have to find a new doctor. I want to be free to decide when she'll get immunized and not fear being turned into any officials or anything like that. I also notice that WIC here requires you to bring immunization records to your appointment so I wonder what they'll do when I don't have any. Anyway, I saw these two articles today and wanted to share with you.

Here and here.

5 comments:

Elizabeth said...

At our WIC, they required the immunization form also. I told them that we decided not to immunize and I was prepared to be excluded from the program. However, they "talked" to me a bit about it (kindly) and then put it in my kids records that we didn't vacinate. It wasn't a big problem.

Your baby has gotten so big and is so cute! My baby will be 1 next Sunday. Amazing how time flies.

Babyface74 said...

That first article just seemed like it was written against home schooling. The whole feel of it had a negative vibe for home schooling.

I also like how they only used examples that included homeschooled children.

As a parent we all have choices to make. I agree that our freedom is slipping away with every bill they pass.

Kim said...

Like I said before I never knew I had the option to not vaccinate my kids. I guess that's just not being too informed on my part. However, I think parents should have that option, as I know there are alot of risks, especially the rise of autism. Our WIC has never asked for shot records. Well good luck with the appt in March. Hope they don't give you a big hassle.

Anonymous said...

Just out of curiousity...how do you think the world would be if no one vaccinated their kids? You and others like you who do not vaccinate owe a huge thank you to those who do.

Jamie said...

Rebecca, I do immunize, just not according to the set schedule that most people follow.