Friday, February 20, 2009

r.i.p.

It's a sad night around the M household. Zach went down the basement and discovered our hamster, Jingle Bell, is dead. Chatterbox is shedding tears. I am a bit sad myself, for some reason. Which is weird, I was TICKED when I discovered Zach & the kids bought that thing while I was at a Ladie's Night Out. Ohhh, poor Booty Shaker is in denial. He just said, "She's not dead." I am grateful we have the puppy so they won't be so saddened over the loss. I am also relieved that I will no longer have hamster shavings being dragged all over the house! But the kids really liked that little critter. I hope the poor thing didn't freeze to death in the basement, though I don't see how considering its been colder down there than it is lately and it was fine. Guess we'll never know... RIP Jingle.

6 comments:

DDanielle said...

Oh I'm sorry for your family. It has to be hard on the kids. I don't know much about hamsters but I know friends who had them who have died suddenly like that, so its probably not the cold.
Oh and as much as I love animals. I am with you Jamie, I don't know if I would like the shavings either!

Mama P said...

Oh no! Poor kiddos. Hamsters only live for about 2 years anyway, so dont feel bad. We went through ALOT of hamsters when I was growing up.

I hope their grief wont be long!

Kim said...

Oh sorry to hear that. I bet the kids are sad. Yeah I know hamster don't live very long. Just a little sad story. There was this one little girl from our church who was at her friends house they were tossing the hamster back and forth from bunk beds, when The one little girl missed it and it fell and died. The little girls were so heart broken that they killed the hamster. What a tradgic death. I couldn't imagine how bad they must of felt.

Darlene said...

One less mess to clean up after.

Amie said...

Our hermit crab died awhile ago, and Elijah had the same denial.

I think it's good for kids to have little pets like that, it teaches them a about life/death and grieving.

Anonymous said...

We had to give our Hamsters up when we moved:( It is hard on the kids but these are life lessons I guess....

Hamsters do not have a long life span so it may have just gone peacefully....

Gina