Monday, October 20, 2008

More School Fun

Today in history we learned about Xerxes 1 and his battles against the Greeks. We then made a Greek battleship as suggested in the book. Kinda 'corny' looking but the kids sure had fun with it!
For science we've recently finished our chapter on plants and now we're doing different projects. There are many great ones suggested in the book only its difficult to find some of the items I need! We are, however, 'growing' sweet potatoes over the next few weeks. It will be fun to see the roots grow.

Junior Squirrel had his first phonics/English test today. He did great and got all of the problems right! I am really proud of how well he does. Sometimes it is a struggle to get him to sit still (like any boy I'm sure) but once he applies himself he can take off! I get rather frustrated though when it comes to him doing his math. One, he takes forever. Two, he is SO sloppy. I will have to scan a page sometime so you can see. Is this normal? Three, I wonder why he doesn't seem as thrilled with math this year as last. Maybe he's bored because its a lot of review from last year?


Today I attempted to teach Booty Shaker how to read. He really loves to sit and write letters. So I started with an A and then a T. We'll see how he does with 'at' tomorrow!


Chatterbox is going to 'Lunch n Lit' tomorrow at the library. It's a program for 3rd-5th graders where they meet for about an hour with their lunches and talk about a book they've read and maybe do a craft or activity. She is really excited about it...let's just hope she won't get shy on talking about her book! She is a book-a-holic! It seems we get two library books on Fridays and by Sunday she's finished them both! I'm trying to figure out what the boys and I will do. I would prefer to stay there but we'll be hungry at that time too so I may run and get us some food also.

5 comments:

Kim said...

DB's handwriting is sloppy too. I think he just doesn't take his time. SOunds like a fun day tomorrow for CB.

Anonymous said...

I get frustrated with Science that always calls for things I have never heard of! Apologia is great Science and I have only had that problem once - for which I am thankful!

Happy Homeschooling!
Loved the ship,
Gina

DDanielle said...

sloppy handwriting is unfortunately my family's (except for my dad) trademark. For me I had (and still do I guess) no patience for it. My brain works so much faster than my hands. The best thing my mom taught me was how to type. With typing I somewhat keep up with my brain.
I would have LOVED to do a lunh and lit when I was Chatterbox's age. How cool is that!

April said...

My son is so sloppy too. It's frustrating because I know how well he can write when he takes his time...he just has more important things to do I guess.
:-)

Amie said...

Half the challenge of teaching boys to read is getting them to sit still! Every day I say "how can you read if your not looking at the word?" at least 10x.

I need to find a science project that the boys can do for the science fair next month.

I bet Chatterbox the bookworm will love that program!