Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Recipe time

In my last post I mentioned what I was cooking for dinner. I'm always leery to try a new chicken recipe only because Zach is not fond of chicken and I never know if he'll like it (you want to please your man's appetite, right?). I have had this cookbook since I was married or before I was married. I got it from my cousin Sherry (thanks). I was thinking about it yesterday...the cookbook is called 'The Madison County Cookbook' (I can't find the right link to it). I don't even know if I've ever seen this movie, but I find it weird how I now live in Iowa not too far from Madison County (in fact we drove through the county on our way to Omaha).

For some reason I never tried this recipe before. I think because for so long I'd look for something to cook at the last minute. This recipe requires you to prepare it the night before and refrigerate it. I liked the fact that it called for everything that I normally have in my kitchen. Add to that that it is so simple to make (if you remember to do it the night before) and its super easy! It sure was nice to already have had the chicken and noodles cooked from a previous night! Without further ado, here is the recipe. Oh yeah...Zach loved it!!! I couldn't get enough of it, it was so creamy and cheesy. It says it serves 10-15 but I don't think that's accurate, seemed less than that.

Chicken Casserole

2 3/4 c. diced chicken (I used chicken already cooked)
1 1/2 c. chicken broth (or 1 can)
1 c. milk
1 can each cream of mushroom and cream of chicken soup
1 1/2 c. diced American cheese squares
1/2 c. diced green pepper (I didn't add this as I didn't have any)
1 small onion, diced
2. c. large uncooked elbow macaroni (mine was cooked)
Salt & pepper, to taste

Mix all ingredients and put in 9x13 in greased pan. Refrigerate overnight. Bake at 350 covered for 50 minutes, then uncovered for 10 minutes. *Turkey or ham can be substituted for the chicken.

4 comments:

Babyface74 said...

Sounds Yummy!! My Zach loves chicken when it has noodles. So I will have to try this one. His fav is a recipe I have that taste like we are eating at Olive Garden. I will send you that one. Its a bit involved but SOOOO worth the time. I am craving it just thinking about it.

Kim said...

Sounds so good. Thanks for sharing. I will definitely try it.

jljdcraig4 said...

That sounds so good; thank you for sharing, Jamie...............

I was just "dropping in" and seeing what y'all have been up to. I pray that Sweetpea feels better soon; I know that when baby isn't feeling good, the whole household is involved.

I"m glad that you are enjoying Iowa.............I'm with you in the needing to get some warmer clothes for winter. So far it's still been in the upper 60s every day, but people keep on warning me that the cold is coming........
Be blessed,
Lynn

Jodie said...

That recipe does sound good.

Cute pics below!! What a great pumpkin place. My kids would have loved the corn box.

I have a funny feeling Jayda is going to struggle with Math too.